One woman who recently used EOS lip balm had a horrible reaction to the egg-shaped balm. Her mouth, lips, and surround areas all broke out in painful rashes, dry skin, and blisters. The victim, Rachel Cronin, noted that she had to quickly seek medical care because of the extreme pain. Her mouth felt like “sandpaper” and her lips started to crack and bleed as she tried to move it to talk.
Ms. Cronin has decided to sue EOS for the personal damages to her skin. She noted that after posting a picture of her affected mouth on her Facebook page, she received a myriad of responses from people who had similar skin reactions due to EOS products.
EOS released a statement that they feel the lawsuit is without merit, and that they stand by their products and the high quality ingredients that they use. However, we have to wonder what exactly it means when EOS lip balms say they are 99% natural. What exactly is in the other 1%? It turns out, that unnatural 1% contains polyglyceryl-3 dilsostearate, sodium isostearoyl lactylate, sodium hyaluronate, stevia rebaudiana leaf/stem extract, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, and a few other unnatural ingredients dependent on flavor. With chemical ingredients such as these, it can be hard to determine if someone may have an unfavorable reaction.
Make sure to always check the ingredients in the products you are using. Always opt for organic, vegan, cruelty-free ingredients. Don’t just read the label and pay attention to the advertising, carefully read what is actually in the product itself.